Educational Symposium of the Psychiatry Commission:
Epilepsy and Psychiatric Disorders throughout Life
OCTOBER 25 -26, 2019
Bourbon Convention Ibirapuera Hotel
SÃO PAULO – BRAZIL
ABOUT THE EVENT
The Symposium of the Psychiatric Commission of the International League Against Epilepsy is an Update & Review Course –to be held October 25-26, 2019, in the city of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil. The course will provide state-of-the-art updates on Epilepsy diagnosis, medical and surgical treatment, and the approach to its psychiatric comorbidities. The program content is appropriate for practicing Adult and Pediatric Neurologists as well as Epileptologists, trainees/fellows, mid-level providers, and health care providers in charge of patients with epilepsy. The course features invited nationally and internationally renowned faculty.
In this Symposium, the Psychiatric Commission Symposium aims to have a significant educational role. For this reason, the Symposium will be composed by a sequence of Lectures, followed by a Forum. The lectures will be introduced with a list of two or three guiding questions and with a clear learning objective that will be covered during a 20-minute presentation. In the end, the questions will be repeated and responses collected and discussed.
In the last day, the forum will address some highlights with a case-centered approach and a common error-list. The audience will take part in discussing the case with experts selected.
After completing this activity, the participant will be able to do the following:
• Describe major epileptic syndromes across the age spectrum and consider their comorbidities
• Review differential diagnosis regarding events that can mimic epilepsy
• Review the pharmacology and action of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) and psychoactive drugs
• Describe surgical treatment options and procedures for patients with medically refractory epilepsy and psychiatric disorders
• Understand the key criteria in the identification and management of psychiatric or behavioral disorders in children and adolescents with epilepsy
• Discuss the key criteria in the identification and management of psychiatric or behavioral disorders in adults with epilepsy.
The program content is appropriate for practicing Adult and Pediatric Neurologists as well as Epileptologists, trainees/fellows, mid-level providers, and health care providers in charge of patients with epilepsy.
The Course Website will be used for registration.
A brief CV will be requested to be evaluated during the submission process.
Members of the International League against Epilepsy and the Brazilian League against Epilepsy.
The International League against Epilepsy and the Pharmaceutical Industry (ACHE Laboratory) will sponsor this Symposium, as described in the Psychiatric Commission Budget.
Chair, Psychiatry Commission, ILAE
Chair, Task Force of Pediatric Psychiatric Conditions, ILAE Chair, Local Organizing Committee